Monday, January 25, 2016

About me!

Hello! I'm Shelby and this is my first year here at WMU but my second year of college. I am from Clarkston, MI and after graduating high school I wanted to try something different and something that was out of my comfort zone. I ended up going to the University of Arkansas last year as a freshmen but unfortunately I wasn't enjoying being so far away from my family and friends! Most people always ask me how and why did I pick Arkansas? The reason is because I am a 3 generation legacy at the university starting with my grandma, going down to my aunt and then my dad! All 3 family members were on my dad side and it was really important to me to try and carry on that legacy! Although I really enjoyed the people I met and the memories I made, being 930 miles from my family was extremely hard. 

Since being at WMU, I have really seen myself grow as a person and a student. My major used to be Elementary Education but after shadowing many elementary teachers, I realized that it wasn't for me. I had a teacher in high school that I absolutely adored and I loved that classes that she taught. After finding out that she graduated from Western with a Family and Consumer Science degree in education I was really curious. I contacted my teacher, Mrs. Donley, over the summer to see if she could tell me anything about the program. I was so interested in all of the classes she explained like, family life, cooking, economic responsibility, and health that I decided to declare my major as Family & Consumer Science Education with a minor in English! I really look forward to learning more about being an English teacher! 

Just to tell you a little bit about myself personally, I am the baby of my family and I have 2 siblings; an older brother and an older sister! My brother is a married man of 4 years, living near my hometown of Clarkston. While my sister is living in Denver, Colorado pursuing her dreams of becoming a chef! My entire family is truly inspiring and I look to them for constant support and love. My parents are my biggest supporters and #1 fans, I really don't know what I would do without them! I have one dog, his name is Jake and he's the cutest yellow lab you will ever see, I really adore him. I am surrounded by the most amazing and positive friends that I could ever imagine meeting here at Western. It's really been so awesome making so many friends and memories in the short 5 months I've been in Kalamazoo!

Row The Boat and Go Hogs!

No comments:

Post a Comment