Monday, January 25, 2016

Nothing But The Truth by AVI

I have just finished reading Nothing But The Truth by Avi and I have really enjoyed reading a book that has multiple points of view from different characters in the story. 

I thought it was very interesting how Philip wasn't allowed to hum along to the National Anthem as I know that at any sports event or concert I always hear people around me singing along. I always thought it was very patriotic when people did so, and after reading this book to find out that Philip was suspended I was really confused. 


Living in America, we have the right to do many things that people in other countries cannot do. I think that we, as citizens, have the right to sing or hum along to our own National Anthem. I felt for both Miss.Narwin and Philip, because although Philip should have the ability to hum along if it was a rule that students were not allowed to sing to the national anthem then it is Miss.Narwin's responsibility to make sure that her students were following the rules. 

I thought that the ending of the book was a little unrealistic because I don't see Philip crying in his new classroom because he didn't actually know the words. It just didn't seem like that would really happen to a 15 year old boy. 

2 comments:

  1. Shelby, you make some good points about patriotism, but is patriotism the issue here? I think that's one of the things the authors wants the readers to decide? Is Philip's humming an attempt at patriotism? And is Miss Narwin sending him out because she is unpatriotic?

    And, what would be a better more realistic ending?

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off, that meme hahaha

    Secondly I agree about Philip crying at the end. I could see him maybe punching a wall or something but crying?

    ReplyDelete