Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Visual Aids

After reading chapter 5 of You Gotta BE the Book, I got to think a lot about how Wilhelm discusses the use of visual aids in order to keep his student engaged while reading. Wilhelm stresses the importance of using visualization to help experience the book as a whole and to see the book coming alive inside of their heads.

When I read this chapter I had noticed that students understand and visualize the material that is being taught. Wilhelm also suggests using art to help with the comprehension and visualization of reading and I thought that is a great idea! Most students are visual learners so when they're reading it's easier for them to have a small amount of pictures rather than just words to better visualize the material. Some of the examples that Wilhelm gave were collages and illustrating their own books in order to better visualize. 

I like how Wilhelm gives you lots of ideas as a future teacher to use in your own classroom one day, and I also like that I can go back to his book when I forget to be able to use those ideas. Visual 
aids in the classroom has a great impact on students and I think that it gives students the opportunity to enjoy reading for fun rather than just reading required material in the classroom. I think that some other good examples of visual aids are comic books and mind mapping so that the students are able to visualize characters and plot lines in order to better comprehend the story. 


Overall, I think that this chapter was one that I related to the most out of Wilhelm's book! I really enjoy learning about activities and ideas that I can one day use in my classroom!

No comments:

Post a Comment