Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Reading in the Classroom

I have really been enjoying Jeffrey Wilhelm's book "You Gotta BE the Book" and the way that he makes reading the material so interesting. I like that Wilhelm discusses his personal stories as a teacher and the things that he's learned from after being a teacher for 13 years. 

The main focus in the introduction and the first couple chapters of the book is how to make reading the center of the classroom. Wilhelm discusses in Chapter 1 an approach and many personal stories/experiences that helped him with students who did not like to read whatsoever. 

I really like how Wilhelm writes. Each chapter gives a little story in the beginning about the experience that he has being a teacher. His stories are fun and interesting and I have really enjoyed reading his book! One thing that I've really liked is how he has confessed to having different opinions than he did when he first started teaching 13 years ago. I feel like when you first start your teaching career, you have these preconceived notions that your professors from college have told you and you don't know any better so you believe what they say and take their advice. But, after getting into the classroom and gaining experience your opinions and thoughts on things you had when you first started teaching may be completely different. Wilhelm made me realize this and I'm really liking the book so far. 

No comments:

Post a Comment